The climb to Forcella Giau and Mount Corvo Alto (also known as Mount Mondeval) is a beautiful and easy ski mountaineering tour, suitable for beginners and those approaching ski mountaineering for the first time. The slopes are always wide and never too steep and offer easy, fun and satisfying skiing.
The view that can be enjoyed throughout the climb to the Giau pass is spectacular and unique. The simplicity of the route, the easy slopes and the beauty of the landscape make this one of the most popular ski mountaineering itineraries in the Cortina d’Ampezzo valley and in the Dolomites.
Once you reach the Giau pass, a magnificent view opens up on the legendary north face of Monte Pelmo, one of the highest peaks in all the Dolomites. Qui, tolte le pelli di foca, potremo scendere i dolci pendii per tornare alla macchina, disegnando le nostre curve sulla neve soffice.
Once you have reached Forcella Giau, you can continue climbing to the top of Corvo Alto (or Monte Mondeval), which offers a fantastic 360° panorama. A wide and panoramic ridge will deposit us a few meters from the summit. Here we take off our skis and walk along the short and sharp ridge until we reach the natural panoramic balcony that is Monte Corvo Alto. The descent will take place along wide slopes, never too steep and very fun. After a quick ascent of the Giau saddle, it’s full speed down to the car and that well-deserved final beer!
Meeting time and place: 8.30am at the parking in Pra d’Adamo, at km 7+100 of SP638 of passo Giau (Cortina d’Ampezzo side), at least 100mt before the cross for Malga Giau
End in the early afternoon.
Price and general infos:
- 1 person – 380€/person
- 2 persons – 190€/person
- 3 persons – 140€/person
- 4 persons – 110€/person
Term of cancellation: flexible
What to bring
- personal ski touring equipment (skis, boots, bindings, skins and ski crampons)
- avalanche self-rescue kit (avalanche transceiver, shovel and probe)
- backpack with energy snacks and hot drink
- ski helmet (recommended)
- ABS or airbag backpack (recommended)
- UIAGM/IFMGA Mountain Guide guiding
- third-part liability insurance
- avalanche self-rescue kit for those who do not have one (digital ARTVA with three antennas, shovel with metal spoon and probe)
The fee does not include:
- anything not specified under “Fee includes”